China Denies Reports That It Asked The NBA To Fire Daryl Morey For Pro-Hong-Kong Tweets

The Daily Caller | 10/18/2019 | Staff
TitanSwimr (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/GettyImages-1176005491-e1571414531873.jpg

China said Friday that it never told the Houston Rockets to fire its general manager over his pro-Hong Kong tweets that ignited weeks of criticism against the NBA.

Comments from China’s foreign ministry came just one day after NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said China requested Daryl Morey be fired for his quickly deleted tweets, according to the Associated Press.

Government - Requirement - Foreign - Ministry - Spokesman

“The Chinese government never posed this requirement,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said Friday, AP reported.

The foreign ministry said earlier in October, however, that the NBA “knows better than anyone else” how to resolve the conflict between the association and China but did not offer any specifics, according to AP.

Silver - Thursday - Appearance - Time - Health

Silver said Thursday during an appearance at the Time 100 Health Summit in New York that the Chinese government asked him to fire Morey.

“I felt we had made enormous progress in terms of building cultural exchanges with the Chinese people,” he said. “Again, I have regret that much of that was lost. And I’m not even sure where we’ll go...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Caller
Wake Up To Breaking News!