Where are the Catholics? The growing Protestant presence in Latin America

The Deacon's Bench | 10/18/2019 | Staff
boti (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2019/10/kal-visuals-8Fs2u-4SKrs-unsplash.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2019/10/kal-visuals-8Fs2u-4SKrs-unsplash-768x513.jpg

What makes these new Protestant churches more attractive than traditional Roman Catholic churches?

There’s been a lot of discussion online about whether or not the Catholic Church should ordain married men to serve as priests in the Amazon. But I think it might be prudent to look at what is happening in that region, and how religious practice there has shifted over the last 50 years or so.

Overview - Blog - Center - Studies - University

I found this overview on a blog at the Center for Latin American Studies at the University of Pittsburgh. It looks at some research over the last several years and I think it gives a useful context to what is now unfolding in Rome:

For the last five decades, there have been two phenomena taking place: adherents leaving the Catholic faith, and many people joining Protestant congregations, especially Pentecostal and Neo-Pentecostal churches. To understand the reasons for this trend more concretely, we will look at the case of Brazil, a largely Catholic country that is progressively becoming more Protestant in some regions.

Side - Coin - Mass - Exodus - People

First, we need to understand one side of the coin: the mass exodus of people from the Catholic Church. When the Portuguese colonized and began to rule what is now Brazil in the 1500s, the Catholic Church supported conversion of natives there, but the conversion was only marginal. In other words, people started attending mass and learning how to read scripture, but were not compelled to give up other beliefs. Over centuries this lack of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Deacon's Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!