San Sebastian New Directors Winner Jorge Riquelme on ‘Some Beasts,’ Screening at MIA

Variety | 10/18/2019 | Jamie Lang
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/algunasbestias_filmpicture_19242.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Jorge Riquelme Serrano’s sophomore feature “Some Beasts” has impressed since sweeping Toulouse’s 35th Films in Progress in March and premiering its final version in San Sebastian’s New Directors section where it once again notched top honors.

Riqeulme writes, produces – with his company Laberinto Films – directs and edits his films, so its no surprise that “Some Beasts” comes a full three years after his impressive debut “Chameleon” earned instant recognition and screened at the Seattle International and London Film Festivals, among others.

Chameleon - Beasts - Thriller - Isolation - Family

Like “Chameleon” before, “Some Beasts” is a violent, psychological thriller focusing on isolation. In it, a family disembarks on a cold and damp island on Chile’s southern coast, where a middle-aged couple try to convince their parents to invest in renovating an old house into a hotel.

When their the home’s caretaker, also their guide on the island, disappears, the family becomes trapped on the island, suffering freezing temperatures, a lack of drinkable water and some beasts hidden within the family.

Variety - Riquelme - Film - MIA - Market

Variety talked with Riquelme ahead of the film’s MIA Market screening, where Paris-based Cité Films is handling international sales for the feature.

You found great success with your first film “Chameleon,” then took three years to follow it with “Some Beasts.” Was that layoff intentional?

Films - Director - Producer - Screenwriter - Editor

Both of my films have been entirely self-made. On both I was director, producer, screenwriter and editor. I feel like three years is what it takes me to make a movie using this model. I give myself over completely to the projects I develop at Laberinto, the production company I founded in 2015. I try to pose new challenges and risks when facing a new project. There is growth in all aspects: the script, the number of characters, the complexity of the location, the number of shooting days. Now I’m writing my third film and am facing...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The beatings will continue until moral improves.