When You Say “Yes” to God — Where Will It Lead?

Carl McColman | 10/16/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/388/2019/10/ERM-Cardinal-Stritch-3.19.jpeg

Today’s post is by guest contributor Dr. Marie Marquardt, who is a novelist (Dream Things True), scholar, and contemplative activist. This is the transcript of a reflection she offered at St. Thomas More Catholic Church, Decatur GA, on September 22, 2019. Her thoughts are based on the following scripture passages: Amos 8:4-7; Psalm 113:1-2, 4-6, 7-8; I Timothy 2:1-8; and Luke 16:1-13 (the parable of the shrewd manager). Dr. Marquardt looks at how God’s invitation to say “Yes!” made all the difference in her life — and can do the same for anyone willing to take the risk.

A couple of weeks ago, I was sitting at my desk working when an email came in from Fr. Mark Horak, SJ, inviting me to share my thoughts on today’s readings. Without hesitating, I replied with a simple “Yes!” and hit the send button. Why such a quick reply? Well, I’m deeply grateful for our parish’s work to expand the role of the laity, and I’m willing to play my part. Also, frankly, I knew that if I thought about it too much, I might lose my nerve!

Days - Commentaries - Today - Gospel - Reading

A few days later, I began to prepare. Examining commentaries on today’s Gospel reading, I saw a clear and consistent theme emerge. As one New Testament scholar put it: “The parable of the “shrewd” or “dishonest” manager is perhaps the most baffling of Jesus’ parables.” Other scholars and commentators described the parable as “confusing” and even “incomprehensible.”

So, thanks, Fr. Mark, for inviting me to preach this week!

Start - Take - Baffling - Jesus - People

Let’s start with my take on this baffling parable: Jesus suggests that people like the “shrewd” manager are incredibly inventive, out there hustling when it comes to “small matters” like money. So shouldn’t we be even more creative — hustle even harder — when it comes to the true...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Carl McColman
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: