‘Lodge 49’: The Last Image of Season 2 Proves This Show Has Plenty More Worlds Left to Explore

IndieWire | 10/14/2019 | Staff
maye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Lodge-49-Season-2-Finale-Dud.jpg

If “Lodge 49” is a family — and it certainly is — the last episode of Season 2 feels like a grand reunion. After the chaos of the show’s wild Mexico diversion in the previous two episodes, Long Beach’s beloved Lynxes gather at Lodge 49 for the coronation of Ernie (Brent Jennings) as Sovereign Protector. He and Scott (Eric Allan Kramer) bury the hatchet as they both realize they want different things from life. Connie (Linda Emond) forges the beginning of a literary career and Liz (Sonya Cassidy) even takes her first steps inside Lodge confines.

Leading up to the finale, Season 2 is filled with moments that emphasize how much these disparate characters have become united by circumstance. The beginning of a communal van ride, a collective thanksgiving around a table at a restaurant known for its dumplings, one wild escape to secure the scrolls that have been the seasons-long goal to obtain: all of those lead to a season-closing hour that finds each character taking stock of where this international quest for meaning has left them, with Dud (Wyatt Russell) staying the unspoken force helping to bind them all.

Kind - Kind - Arc - Season - Dud

“I think it’s kind of central to the main kind of arc of the season in which Dud has entered this place that he loves and he’s kind of watching it fall apart,” series creator Jim Gavin told IndieWire. “Everyone is isolated and he’s trying hard to keep everyone together. We really wanted to make them have an impact when we do get everyone together. I think Ernie’s coronation fits the bill.”

“If you think of the very first shot of very first episode of ‘Lodge 49,’ Dud walks into this panoramic, cinematic wide shot of the beach and he’s this tiny fellow who’s alone. That’s the starting place. I think for...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!