Deacons, take note: an important ministry of healing for grieving parents

The Deacon's Bench | 10/14/2019 | Staff
jenny1246 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2019/10/danielle-macinnes-9Qu8rZxwz_g-unsplash.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2019/10/danielle-macinnes-9Qu8rZxwz_g-unsplash-768x512.jpg

“This was one of the most grace-filled experiences that I have had.”

Several days ago, I received an email from Deacon Tom Dubois, Executive Director of the National Association of Diaconate Directors (NADD). He wanted to pass along some information that might be of particular interest to deacons.

Here’s what he wrote:

I received a phone call today from Mr. Charles Monaghan who, with his wife Diane, runs The Emmaus Ministry for Grieving Parents. Their ministry provides retreats nationwide for parents who lost children. Charles and Diane know this pain firsthand having lost their son, Paul, many years ago. Out of their grief grew this ministry that profoundly helps other grieving parents. Many deacons and wives who have lost children have attended these retreats.

Monaghans - Time - Ministry - Others - Charles

The Monaghans are getting older and recognize that it is time to pass this established ministry along to others so that it can continue. Charles called NADD with the thought that it could be an ideal ministry for a deacon or group of deacons who have experienced the loss of a child. I agreed to share this information with NADD members and to ask them to share it with the deacons in their dioceses.

My reason for writing to you is to ask if The Deacons’ Bench could identify this need to your audience?

Group - Website - Ministry - Way

The group’s website describes the ministry this way:

Of all the pains that life can hand us, arguably the most searing is the loss of a child. A parent’s world irrevocably and horrifically changes forever, no matter what the circumstances or the age of the child.

Manner - Order - Parents - Part - Loss

In what seems to be a manner contrary to the natural order, parents not only have a physical and emotional part of themselves ripped away, but also have the loss of all of the hopes, dreams and aspirations they had so completely invested in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Deacon's Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!