‘The Plague’ Creator Rafael Cobos Talks Season 2, Screening at Mipcom

Variety | 10/14/2019 | Jamie Lang
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/rafael-cobos.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

MADRID — Writer-creator Rafael Cobos hosted the first market screenings for Season 2 Movistar Plus’ tentpole series “La Peste” (“The Plague”) at Mipcom this afternoon.

Season 1 bowed in Spain in January 2018 to the best opening results of any series, aired or available, on the Telefonica-owned pay TV giant, who have promised that Season 2 will be bigger still with increased action, new characters and a sped up tempo enhanced by agile camera-work focusing on a larger cast of key characters.

Set - Century - Seville - Center - Era

Set in 16th century Seville, a thriving global center recovering after a dark era of disease and political upheaval, Season 2 focuses on the arrival and rapid growth of the violent Garduña crime family. To combat the new threat, the monarchy has assigned Pontecorvo, a loyal military leader known for quelling criminal uprisings as the city’s new mayor.

Meanwhile, Season 1 protagonist Mateo is in Chile’s Patagonia establishing Spanish colonies, while Teresa and her son Valerio are attempting to combat a brutal sex slave operation plaguing the city.

Variety - Changes - Season - Cobos - Mipcom

Variety discussed the changes coming in Season 2 with Cobos ahead of the Mipcom screenings.

Mateo starts Season 2 in as inhospitable a place and set of circumstances as could be imagined in the New World. Why did you choose that as your starting point?

Things - World - First - Space - Mateo

There were two fundamental things that I wanted the new world to have. First, a distant, unknown, and complex space where it is difficult for Mateo’s emotional healing to occur, but I thought it would be great for that to happen in the new world. At the same time, I was interested in a new world entirely separate from the turquoise waters and palm trees we normally see. A more hostile world. I had in my head an image of a whale among glaciers. Mateo needed to heal himself from melancholy,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!