Phil Thompson saved my life: Tony Cottee on his brain haemorrhage

Mail Online | 10/13/2019 | Craig Hope for the Daily Mail
fufu-fefefufu-fefe (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10/13/21/19664884-0-image-a-25_1570997676230.jpg

Tony Cottee jabs the centre of his forehead. This, he says, is where the pain started.

Like we are now, Cottee was in a hotel this summer when his trauma began, a scare which, but for the intervention of ex Liverpool defender Phil Thompson, could have cost him his life.

Pair - London - Advert - Sky - Morning

The pair were staying in west London and were filming an advert for Sky the following morning.

'I went to my room at 10pm and within five minutes I was suffering the worst headache I've ever had, and then it spread to my neck,' says the former West Ham, Everton and England striker.

Golf - Day - Sunstroke - Sleep - Cottee

'We'd played golf that day and it was 75°F, so I just passed it off as sunstroke, "All I need is a good sleep".' At 2.30am, Cottee began vomiting.

'It wasn't right. The pain in my neck was horrific and my head was ready to explode. I knew I was in trouble. I tossed and turned and then rang Thommo. He came down and was like, "Flippin' heck, look at you". My eyes were popping out.

Reception - Doctor - Hotel

'He went to reception and, I didn't know this until later, paid for a doctor to come to the hotel.'

Thompson's decision would prove potentially life-saving. The doctor took one look at him and called an ambulance. He suspected meningitis. The paramedics arrived and asked a dazed Cottee what had happened.

Doctor - Doctor - Jab - Backside

'A doctor has just been in, or at least I think he was a doctor,' he told them. 'He gave me a jab in my backside and left'. He is able to smile about it now.

After an MRI scan and further tests at West Middlesex Hospital, Cottee was moved to a private room. Talk of 'quarantine' and the sight of staff wearing protective masks did little to reassure him.

Morning - Condition

It was the following morning, however, when his condition...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do you exist for Something or Nothing?