How Do I Manage My Staff with Humble Confidence?

The Gospel Coalition | 10/14/2019 | Courtney Moore
cv2angels (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/11191024/lightstock_455890_full_tgc-copy.jpg

When managing others, how should I balance the important attribute of confidence (“I know this is what we should do and how we should get there”) with humility (“I need your insight on what we should do or how we should get there”)?

You ask a good question that applies to Christians in all spheres of influence. Let’s first look at the idea of confidence, then how it relates to serving with humility those you manage.

Word - Caution - Self-confidence - God - Team

I want to offer a word of caution about self-confidence. While God wants you to manage your team with courage and proficiency, you must remember where your ability to do so ultimately lies. Your competence is not inherently your own; God’s grace provides you with every aspect of what you need to lead well.

Confidence for the Christian must not be based on what you can bring to the table, but on what Christ has already brought to you. He has guided your life, giving you work experiences that likely prepared you for this current role (Acts 17:25–26, 28). He placed you in your present leadership position (Rom. 13:1). He enabled you to learn and grow in managerial skills (1 Cor. 4:7). All of this is from him, so that your boast may be in the Lord and not yourself (1 Cor. 1:31).

Confidence - Humility - Finiteness - Fallibility - Create

As you lead, then, temper your confidence with humility that recognizes your own finiteness and fallibility. Create tasks and set deadlines for your team to the best of your ability, but with a heart that says, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that” (James 4:13–17). This confidence in the Lord will naturally bring humility to your leadership, since you depend on him as you make managerial decisions.

Christians are called to an odd paradox: lead others from a God-given position of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Settled law: one party can't change a contract. Now if the Government, citizens and the Consstitution...
Tagged: