DR MICHAEL FITZPATRICK on his campaign against dangerous vaccine misinformation 

Mail Online | 10/13/2019 | Dr Michael Fitzpatrick For The Daily Mail
joseph76 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10/13/22/19665280-0-image-a-18_1571000481967.jpg

My campaign against dangerous misinformation in the world of vaccinations began almost 20 years ago, built on the publication in 1998 of a now-notorious and withdrawn paper in the medical journal the Lancet.

This paper, written by Andrew Wakefield, first raised the now-discredited possibility of a link between MMR and autism.

GP - Practice - Discussions - Parents - Vaccination

As a GP at a busy inner-London practice, I soon found myself having long discussions with worried parents who wanted to delay or refuse vaccination – or to opt for expensive, separate measles, mumps and rubella jabs offered by sleazy private clinics.

And I had reasons of my own for taking a particularly close interest in this debate.

Son - James - Course - Development - Regression

Our son James, born in 1992, had followed a course of apparently normal development before regression into autism at the age of 18 months – a common story for autistic children and also, wrongly, said to be typical of the children supposedly affected by MMR.

On digging out James’s baby clinic book, we discovered that he had the jab without any apparent adverse effects about four months before we first noticed the signs of what doctors call his ‘autistic withdrawal’.

Lancet - Paper - Wakefield - Co-authors - Causal

I carefully read the Lancet paper. Although Wakefield and his co-authors admitted that they ‘did not prove a causal relationship’ – my italics – between MMR and autism, it would be more accurate to say that they did not present any evidence of a causal relationship.

They simply reported that the parents of eight of the 12 children in the study believed there was such a link.

Four-stage - Mechanism - MMR - Autism - Bowel

What’s more, the four-stage mechanism through which MMR was supposed to produce both autism and inflammatory bowel disease seemed, to me, entirely speculative.

Putting all this together, I was swiftly unconvinced by the theory that the MMR jab had been a factor in causing autism in James or in any child. Other parents,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!