DR MICHAEL MOSLEY is treating a hamstring injury by sticking needles in his thigh

Mail Online | 10/12/2019 | Dr Michael Mosley for the Daily Mail
ajoy26 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10/12/18/19631608-0-image-a-2_1570900098000.jpg

This week, I write my column sitting down, rather than at my usual standing desk.

For the second time in a year, I have injured myself.

Months - Achilles - Cord - Muscles - Back

Nine months ago it was my Achilles tendon – the fibrous cord that connects the muscles in the back of your calf to your heel bone – which I ruptured while out on a run.

Under the guidance of my sport and exercise consultant, Dr Phil Batty, I nursed it back to health by wearing a special supportive boot and doing regular physiotherapy.

Achilles - Injury - Men - Times - Women

Apparently, a ruptured Achilles is a classic middle-aged male injury. Men are five times more likely than women to suffer the ailment after exercising.

And my latest malady is, I’ve learned, similarly common in men of my age.

Weeks - Hamstring - Leg - Muscles - Back

Two weeks ago, I tore a hamstring in my right leg. The hamstring muscles run up the back of the thigh, and are pretty important for walking, running, and doing anything that involves bending at the knee.

I’d been so pleased with the speedy recovery of my Achilles that I decided to take up running again, and went out exercising with a group of friends in Perth, Australia.

But I got carried away.

After about 45 minutes of jogging and stretches, someone suggested we finish off with a few sprints.

I should have bowed out gracefully, but being competitive, I decided to go for it.

Halfway to the finishing line, I felt one of my hamstring muscles go ‘pop’. And then there was a surge of pain through my upper leg.

Friend - House - Protocol - Exercise - Experts

I was driven back to a friend’s house and followed a protocol recommended by exercise experts – see the panel, right for more details on this.

Then, an Australian physiotherapist called Cassie, a friend of a friend, visited and offered some rather surprising advice.

Pain - Medication - Ibuprofen

She suggested that anti-inflammatory pain medication such as ibuprofen, which most of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!