Brie Larson on Why ‘Every Interaction Is a Chance to Bring Hope’

Variety | 10/11/2019 | Alex Stedman
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/brie-larson-power-of-women.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Brie Larson talked about her upcoming film “Just Mercy” and the Equal Justice Initiative at Variety‘s Power of Women luncheon on Friday at the Beverly Wilshire.

Larson was being honored at the luncheon presented by Lifetime for her work with the Equal Justice Initiative (EJI). In “Just Mercy,” she portrays one of the co-founders of the organization, Eva Ansley, who also accompanied her at the event.

Natalie - Portman - Power - Women - Portman

She was introduced by Natalie Portman, a former Power of Women honoree herself. Portman first met Larson through their work with Time’s Up. “I was immediately struck by her all-encompassing warmth, her completely unique way of seeing the world, and her razor-sharp intellect,” Portman said. “It became quickly clear that Brie would become a leader.”

Larson, Portman explained, “tirelessly” devoted herself to getting more women and people of color represented in entertainment journalism. “And suddenly, a practice that we had all become used to — namely, being interviewed by only white men — was questioned at every junket, every premiere.”

Larson - Work - Time - Up - Time

Larson recalled her work with Time’s Up as “a painful and emotional time, but it was a time that I remember as pure sisterhood.”

“I gained so many sisters in that darkness, and this ability to take what was chaotic, and find a new order with the minds of our community is what I hope to express deep importance to today,” she began her speech.

Ansley - Story - EJI - Told - Just

She talked about Ansley and the story of EJI as told in “Just Mercy”: Bryan Stevenson started the initiative in 1989 to provide legal representation to prisoners who may have been wrongly convicted, who may not be able to afford effective representation, or who may have been denied a fair trial. Ansley saw injustices in her own community, and had been trying to start a grassroots movement when Stevenson reached out to her.

“Together, 30 years...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
No matter where you go, there you are.