Trump on Possible Senate Trial: ‘I Don’t Know How You Can Impeach’

The Daily Signal | 10/11/2019 | Staff
applekip (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.dailysignal.com/wp-content/uploads/Trial-Senate.jpg

The Senate sat in judgment of President Andrew Johnson for longer than two months in 1868. More than a hundred years later, in early 1999, it spent more than a month hearing the evidence against, and defense of, President Bill Clinton.

Some conservatives now call for Senate Republicans to stop a potential impeachment trial of President Donald Trump in its tracks.

Left - Fear - Senate - Majority - Leader

On the left, some expressed fear that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., simply would block a trial–similar to how the Senate never considered President Barack Obama’s Supreme Court nominee in 2016.

McConnell said last week that Senate rules require him to hold a trial if the House impeaches Trump.

Conservatives - Talk - Radio - Host - Lawyer

But popular conservatives such as talk radio host and constitutional lawyer Mark Levin and Jenny Beth Martin, co-founder and national coordinator of the Tea Party Patriots, say the Senate should dismiss any articles of impeachment from the House.

The Senate considered a motion to dismiss at the beginning of the Clinton impeachment trial, but rejected it.

Reporters - Trump - White - House - Thursday

As reporters crowded near Trump outside the White House on Thursday, The Daily Signal asked: “Mr. President, should the Senate allow a full trial if the House does impeach?”

Trump didn’t directly respond about a Senate trial, but argued there is no reason to impeach him.

Conversation - President - Country—in - Case - Ukraine—which

“I don’t know how you can impeach on a conversation with the president of a country—in this case, Ukraine—which was a perfect conversation, where the president of Ukraine just said there was no pressure put on him whatsoever, that we had an absolutely perfect conversation,” Trump told The Daily Signal, adding:

We have a transcript of the conversation, fortunately, that’s perfect. And I do think this: I think it’s very unfair to heads of countries when they think every time they make a conversation or have a conversation with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Signal
Wake Up To Breaking News!