Demario Davis Dodges $7,000 Fine, Orchestrates $40,000 Donation to Hospital

ChurchLeaders | 10/10/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/demario-davis.jpg

View this post on Instagram

WOWWW look at this!! So my agent just told me that I won my appeal and won't have to pay the headband fine!! Then I see that St. Louis King France came together today to support the movement! Won’t he do it! Look at all these beautiful children of God! Always glory above so I’m taking every penny of that original $7,017 fine and donating it to @stdomhospital anyways. So far, we’ve raised over $30,000 for them from the headbands!! That means yall helped me turn a $7,000 negative into an almost $40,000 positive benefiting people who truly need it!!! Do y’all see how that worked?? Let’s gooooo. That’s crazy! Ya’ll are a part of this journey too!! I can’t thank ya’ll enough either. We on a mission over here obstacles are meant to be conquered!! I’m truly blessed as anybody. We’re restocked on the site with more #ManOfGod and #WomanOfGod color options and have added #ChildOfGod. If you haven’t purchased yours yet or didn't get the color you wanted, donations will continue to go to @stdomhospital so now is the time to stock up! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! #ManOfGod #WomanOfGod #ChildOfGod #WhoDat #TheSaintsAreTheBestTeam Get your headband at: bit.ly/56manofgod (link in bio)

A post shared by Demario Davis #56 (@d56davis) on

A small piece of cloth unwittingly brought Demario Davis lots of attention; now it’s blessing other people while glorifying God.

Davis, a starting linebacker for the New Orleans Saints, had been wearing a gold “Man of God” headband under his helmet this season. During a September 22 game against Seattle, the phrase was visible when Davis took off his helmet. That led to a $7,017 fine for violating the National Football League’s “personal messages” rule. Players are prohibited from “wearing, displaying, or otherwise conveying personal messages” on game day unless they receive prior approval.

Davis - League - Football - Players - Policy

Davis, one of the league’s most outspoken Christian football players, said he wasn’t “fully aware” of the policy beforehand. To avoid escalating fines, he stopped wearing the headband during games, though he still sported it during post-game interviews. This week, Davis learned he won an appeal and won’t have to pay up—but he’s found an even better use for that seven grand.

The league often rescinds these types of fines once a player agrees to comply in the future. But even before Davis knew about his victory, he was determined to make proverbial lemonade out of the situation. “I can’t wear [the headband] and represent God and glorify him,” he said. “It’s something that’s important to me, so I’m just trying to figure out a way to still turn it into a way he can get glory from it.”

Solution - Headbands - Proceeds - Hospital - Hometown

His solution was to sell headbands online and donate all the proceeds to a hospital near his hometown of Jackson, Mississippi. St. Dominic Hospital, where Davis’ mother once worked, needs a new emergency room.

“I’m hoping to put [the headband] out where fans can wear it,” Davis says, “and I can wear it through them.” The $25 headbands, available in gold and pink, come in three versions: “Man of God,” “Woman of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!