Ekta Kapoor India’s Soap Opera Queen on Being a Film Festival Virgin in Busan

Variety | 10/4/2019 | Naman Ramachandran
kringkring (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/ekta-kapoor-img_0076-cr.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Ekta Kapoor is the undisputed queen of Indian content. In the 25 years since Balaji Telefilms was set up by her and her parents Jeetendra Kapoor and Shoba Kapoor, it has become the single largest television content producer in South Asia. The company’s two-year old OTT platform ALT Balaji has already notched up 27 million subscribers. But Busan is Kapoor’s film festival debut.

Balaji’s film production unit that had slowed a few years ago is now back in business and its latest production, Alankrita Shrivastava’s “Dolly Kitty and Those Twinkling Stars” had its world premiere at the Busan International Film Festival on Friday. This is the first time Balaji has participated in a film festival.

Person - Aspects - Life - Company - Busan

“I am a person who wants to explore new aspects of my life and of my company, and I’m like why can’t Balaji go to Busan?,” Kapoor told Variety. “We might be a mass production house but this is an experience for me, and life is all about experiences. I don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m told that this is how film festivals work. It’s great to be a newcomer somewhere.”

Watch as Tiffany Haddish recites some of the late Diahann Carroll's lines.

Years - Lot - Change - Kapoor - Entertainment

“In the last 25 years we have had a lot of change,” Kapoor said. “Entertainment on digital and movies has become far more evolved, but television still stays similar to what was done in the past. This is a common perception. What people don’t realise is that in a 1.3 billion population television has just about penetrated into smaller towns, in cities with populations of less than one million....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
If the Government could just stop...