New 'invisible' foam to ease psoriasis agony: Simple-to-use spray the latest weapon in battle against skin condition

Mail Online | 8/1/2016 | Sara Malm For The Mail On Sunday
Claw987Claw987 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/30/16/36BAB4B100000578-0-image-a-29_1469892677016.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/bc/rtmp_uds/1418450360/2014/09/24/1418450360_3803018769001_skin.mp4

A simple-to-use spray-on foam that quickly vanishes into the skin is the latest weapon in the battle against the debilitating skin condition psoriasis.

Clinical trials into the newly licensed treatment found that more than half of patients were cleared or almost cleared of psoriasis symptoms after four weeks of daily use.

Treatments - Ointment - Form - Patients - Skin

Previous treatments have come in heavy ointment form which patients were often reluctant to use as they left the skin extremely greasy, and stained the clothes.

The new spray is quickly absorbed, meaning that patients on the trial were more willing to use it.

Results - Drug - Thanks - Foam - Carrier

The better-than-expected results could also point to the drug being better absorbed thanks to the foam carrier.

Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that causes red, crusty patches that can be itchy or sore. It affects about 1.8 million people in the UK.

Patches - Areas - Knees - Elbows - Body

The red patches commonly appear on exposed joint areas, such as knees and elbows, but can occur anywhere on the body and vary in size.

The problem is often dismissed as cosmetic, but can have serious effects on sufferers’ quality of life due to itching and social stigma.

Treatment - Foam - Enstilar - Combines - Vitamin

The new treatment foam Enstilar combines Vitamin D with a corticosteroid and is applied once a day for four weeks.

The ingredients treat the main drivers of psoriasis flare-ups – inflammation of the skin and the excessive production of skin cells, which causes the flaky patches.

Time - Foam - Spray - Data - Shows

This is the first time the two have been combined in a foam spray, and the clinical data shows that Enstilar is a more effective topical combination treatment than those currently available in the UK.

Eight in ten patients...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I'm not always cranky, sometimes I'm actually running!