BARACK AND MICHELLE OBAMA WANT TO HEAR YOUR STORIES ABOUT HOW YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD SHAPED YOU

Newsweek | 2/12/2018 | Chantal Da Silva
DebraSDebraS (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1531287/michelle-obama-craig-robinson.jpg

Former President Barack Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama are asking supporters of the Obama Foundation to share their stories of how the neighborhoods they grew up in helped shape them.

In an email sent out to supporters, Michelle Obama shared how her own experiences growing up on the South Side of Chicago shaped her and her brother Craig.

Photo - Siblings - Obama - Days - Childhood

Alongside a photo of the two siblings standing outside together, Obama wrote: "When I think back to some of the earliest days of my childhood, I remember moments like this—my brother Craig and I, smiling outside on the South Side of Chicago."

"It was there, in a diverse and changing neighborhood, that I began a journey that took me to settings I never could have imagined at that age. It's the place that made me who I am," she said.

Today - Obama - World - Lady - Lawyer

Today, Obama is known around the world as a former first lady, an established lawyer and the author of a best-selling memoir, Becoming. Meanwhile, her brother, Craig Robinson, who is two years older than his sister, had built a career as a college basketball coach and broadcaster before landing his current role as the vice president of player and organizational development for the New York Knicks.

While both siblings have seen great success, for Obama, it was their early formative experiences growing up in the South Side of Chicago that set them down their individual paths.

Michelle - Obama - Robinson - Brother - Craig

A young Michelle Obama (then Robinson) stands outside with her brother, Craig Robinson, in the South Side of Chicago neighborhood where they grew up.

The South Side of Chicago is also where the Obamas first met—at a Chicago law firm in 1989—and fell in love.

Fact - Plaque - Couple - Kiss - Baskin

In fact, a historical plaque can be found outside where the couple shared their first kiss at what was once a Baskin Robbins ice cream parlor at...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Newsweek
Wake Up To Breaking News!