New Amsterdam Boss Reveals How 'Sharpwin' Fans Almost Changed [Spoiler]'s Tragic Premiere Fate

TVLine | 9/24/2019 | Vlada Gelman
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/new-amsterdam-recap.jpg?w=619

Warning: The following contains major spoilers for Tuesday’s New Amsterdam. Proceed at your own risk!

Get out your hankies, because New Amsterdam just pulled an emotional bait-and-switch. Tuesday’s Season 2 premiere began three months after the ambulance crash, with Max waking up next to his wife Georgia, as their baby daughter Luna cried. “Your turn,” Georgia declared, so Max stood to pick up his little girl.

Max - Workday - News - Health - Flashbacks

Then as Max went about his workday, receiving miraculously good news about his health, flashbacks to the accident started to unravel what happened that fateful day. Doubt began to creep in about the fate of Helen and then Lauren until it was revealed that both survived, although the latter was still in debilitating pain on her first day back at work. And that brings us back to Georgia, who at the end of the day again declared, “Your turn,” to which Max replied, “It’s always my turn.” Then a flashback revealed that Georgia actually died on the operating table, so Max has been comforting his crying daughter all by himself in the present.

Below, showrunner David Schulner talks about the decision to kill off Max’s wife — and how Max/Helen ‘shippers almost inadvertently saved her life.

TVLINE - | - Number - Ways - Fallout

TVLINE | There were a number of ways that the fallout of the crash could have gone, and even in the premiere, there are moments where it seemed like maybe Lauren or Helen died. Why did you decide that Georgia would ultimately be the one who would die?

Well, it’s something I was kind of trying to set up in the pilot episode. When Georgia came in with the preeclampsia, and there was trouble with the baby, I was trying to set up the end of the season in those scenes. As we started talking about our season finale, I chickened out, and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!