Religious Freedom Envoy Dismayed Islamic Countries Won’t Condemn China’s Abuse of Uighur Muslims

CNS News | 9/24/2019 | Staff
ditranian (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/brownback-hkg_0.jpg

(CNSNews.com) – As the Trump administration leads international condemnation of China’s persecution of Uighur Muslims, ambassador-at-large for international religious freedom Sam Brownback expressed dismay Monday that Islamic nations in particular have not spoken out in support of their co-religionists.

Speaking in New York where President Trump hosted an unprecedented meeting at the United Nations on religious freedom, Brownback recalled that dozens of countries signed a letter over the summer praising China’s policies in its far-western province of Xinjiang.

People - Concentration - Camps

“I’m stunned, because you’ve got a million people in concentration camps in 2019 and you’re not concerned about this?” he asked.

“And I’m concerned about a number of Islamic countries in particular that wouldn’t stand up and speak out about this,” Brownback added.

CNSNews - Com - July - Half - UN

As CNSNews.com reported in July, more than half of the 36 U.N. member-states that signed the letter praising China were members of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), the bloc of Islamic-majority state which is normally outspoken about actions it views as hostile towards Muslims.

Brownback recalled confronting “the head of a major Islamic group” on the issue, and telling him, “I think sometimes I care more about these people than you do.”

Response - Well - Play

His response? “Well, the Chinese play rougher than you guys do.”

“China is at war with faith,” Brownback said. But, he predicted, “they will not win this war.”

Tuesday - Deputy - Secretary - State - John

On Tuesday, Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan is co-hosting an event in New York on the “human rights crisis in Xinjiang.”

According to the State Department, “China’s repression campaign includes, among other abuses, the mass detention of more than one million individuals in internment camps since April 2017.”

Sullivan - Welcomes - Partners - Call - China

It said Sullivan “welcomes global partners in joining the call for China to end the cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment of the people of Xinjiang.”

Brownback did not name countries that would take part, but a State Department spokesman said...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!