Pompeo on Iran’s Zarif: ‘I Don’t Know Why Anyone Listens to Him … He Lies All the Time’

CNS News | 9/23/2019 | Staff
jesse456 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/kerry-zarifflagg.jpg

(CNSNews.com) – Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Sunday ripped into his Iranian counterpart, voicing surprise that anyone would take at face value anything said by a man who, he charged, “lies all the time.”

As Foreign Minister Javad Zarif arrived in New York for this week’s high-level U.N. General Assembly events, Pompeo signaled that the Trump administration will work to mobilize a broad response to Iran following last Saturday’s attack on Saudi oil infrastructure.

Week - New - York - World - Leadership

“I hope this week, here in New York, the whole world will come together to push back against this and convince the Iranian leadership that this behavior is simply unacceptable,” he told Fox News Sunday.

On CBS’ “Face the Nation,” Pompeo underlined the scale of the drone and cruise missile attack, which knocked out half of Saudi Arabia’s crude oil production.

Attack - Nation-state - Attack - Energy - Supply

“We had a nation-state attack another nation-state, the largest attack on a global energy supply, I think in all of recorded history,” he said.

Host Margaret Brennan noted that Zarif has repeatedly denied U.S. accusations that the Iranian regime was behind the attack – rather than its Shi’ite ally in Yemen, the Houthi militia, which claimed responsibility.

Anybody - Minister - Pompeo - Nothing - Policy

“Look, I don’t know why anybody listens to the Iranian foreign minister,” Pompeo said. “He has nothing to do with Iranian foreign policy and he has lied for decades.”

“And then he resigned,” he added, referring to Zarif’s short-lived resignation earlier this year.

Pompeo - Dignity - Anyone - World - Someone

“It’s not even worth responding to him,” Pompeo continued. “It’s beneath the dignity of anyone in the world to listen to someone who repeatedly makes the claim that the Houthis launched this attack.”

Pompeo made the same point on the Fox News show: “As for Zarif, I don’t know why anybody listens to him. He has nothing to do with Iranian foreign policy. He lies all the time.”

Zarif - President - Hassan - Rouhani

Zarif and President Hassan Rouhani are...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!