Catherine Nixey, “The darkening age” is back – and annoying scholars in five languages

Roger Pearse | 9/21/2019 | Staff
Frost123 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Kany-Nixey-FAZ-1024x828.jpg

A couple of years ago I came across a strange volume, designed to smear the ancient Christians. It was authored by a recent arts graduate named Catherine Nixey, and titled “The Darkening Age”. Her publisher had arranged some fawning reviews in the mainstream press, which was unfortunate as her facts were often in error. One of the reviewers, I recall, clearly knew that it was nonsense, but equally clearly had been told to give it a good review! It was really striking how heavily it was promoted.

Ignorant of all this, I found the author tweeting smugly on twitter, and giving a supposed “quote” from Chrysostom. The unfortunate results – for her – appeared on my blog in this article, Hunting the wild misquotation again. The book never seemed to get much traction online, and I confess that I filed it away and forgot about it.

Today - Thread - Dutch - Twitter - Publisher

Today I came across a thread in Dutch on twitter which revealed that her publisher has arranged for the book to be translated into five languages (!) The thread also contained evidence of good reviews over there too!

The only reason that all these favourable reviews can appear, that I can think of, is money. I assume that the publishers of the newspapers are taking money from the publisher in order to commission these reviews. The book itself is just malicious tat, and anybody with a bit of education will know it. It isn’t worth reviewing. Such books are ten-a-penny. But … it gets reviewed, and widely, and favourably. Why?

Thread - Review - Dr - Roland - Kany

The thread contains a review by Dr Roland Kany from the Frankfurt Allgemeine Zeitung:

Title: “So just read how evil they are!”

Review - OCR - Word - Docx - File

I ran the review through OCR, and created a Word .docx file, which I’ll put here in case you’d like to use Google Translate.

There are gems in the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Roger Pearse
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Drove my Ford to the fjord, but the fjord was dry. . .