iPhone 11 and 11 Pro drop test: We couldn't crack these phones, but we broke the camera

CNET | 9/21/2019 | Lexy Savvides
jesse456 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/img/_dDTrwQsaYFnsVlGZTnyv1Pd-7w=/756x567/2019/09/20/96239f0b-b679-47fc-9dbd-fa1816dc44e1/apple-iphone11-drop-test-8.jpg

What will it take to crack the glass on the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro? That's the question I'm asking myself after putting these phones through eight different drop tests, each time onto hard concrete. Try as I might, the glass on these phones just wouldn't crack. But that doesn't mean the phones were damage-free.

At Apple's September event, Kaiann Drance, senior director of product marketing said the iPhone 11 glass is the "toughest ever in a smartphone, on the front and back." We know that glass is custom-made for the iPhone by Corning, the company behind Gorilla Glass.

IPhone - Glass

Watch this: iPhone 11: How tough is the glass?

It's not the first time Apple has made such claims. Last year, marketing chief Phil Schiller said the iPhone XS had "the most durable glass ever built into a smartphone." We dropped the phone four times onto the sidewalk and the screen didn't crack.

IPhone - XR - Drop - Screen

The iPhone XR, however, wasn't so lucky. On the fourth drop, the screen cracked.

We decided to change things up with this year's drop test. Our test zone was a concrete floor and to make the drops as consistent as possible, CNET Managing Producer Chris Parker built a system that helped each phone fall directly on the screen or on the back. While the drop machine didn't guarantee the phones would land in the desired position every time, it did help us test in a controlled way.

IPhone - Pro - Mid-air - Drop

The iPhone 11 Pro in mid-air on its final drop.

Of course, these tests were not scientific, but they do give us an idea of how the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro fare when dropped without a case.

Drop

After each drop, I checked:

Here's what happened.

Drop - IPhone - Side - Feet - Hip

For the first drop I positioned the iPhone 11 to land screen side down. Falling from 3 feet, which is about hip (or pocket)...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!