Boy, 10, with special needs tried to hang himself after he was targeted by racist school bullies

Mail Online | 9/20/2019 | Harry Howard For Mailonline
madalina09madalina09 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/09/20/08/18707254-0-image-a-7_1568964191306.jpg

A ten-year-old boy was bullied so badly by racists at school that he tried to take his own life.

Caleb Hills tried to take his own life last year after fellow pupils spent two years taunting him with the 'n-word' - and teachers told him he needed to build a 'resilience to racism.'

Orchard - School - Canterbury - Kent - Incidents

The Orchard School in Canterbury, Kent, recorded almost 200 'racial incidents' in the two years when Caleb studied there.

Records show the primary school only has four pupils of mixed ethnic background out of 101 students.

Mother - Tyler - Hills - School - Son

His mother Tyler Hills has accused the school of failing to protect her son, and now the council have offered to pay for private education for the youngster.

Ms Hills said her son, who is of mixed race, was made to sit and accept his bullies' apology as they paid 'lip service' to the school's behaviour system.

Bullying - Boy - Personality - Dramatically

As the bullying continued, she said her 'lovely, bubbly, talkative' boy's personality 'changed dramatically.'

He grew anxious and reluctant to go to school before eventually trying to hang himself last summer.

Mother-of-four - 'I - Bedroom - Pit - Stomach

The mother-of-four said: 'I found him in his bedroom. I felt sick to the pit of my stomach, and helpless.

'He said "they keep calling me mean things, they're not nice to me, I keep telling the teachers but they're not listening."

Ms - Hills - Chartham - Kent - Caleb

Ms Hills, 46, of Chartham, Kent, removed Caleb from the school in May after the suicide attempt saying staff there had 'more than enough time' to resolve the bullying.

The youngster, who has a range of learning disabilities, is now out of education and taking antidepressants.

Caleb - N-word - Ms - Hills - Gut

Recalling how Caleb first told her he had been called the n-word, Ms Hills said: 'My gut dropped. He asked "what does it mean?".

'I thought "how dare you allow my child to be treated like that?"

'I've got to sit here and explain to him what this means....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Does it ever seem that life has become one long rerun?