Camelot insider 'told ex-partner he was facing up to 15 years in prison for National Lottery fraud'

Mail Online | 3/11/2009 | Terri-ann Williams For Mailonline
catcrazy24 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/09/20/15/18723082-0-image-a-41_1568988532461.jpg

A Camelot insider confided in a former partner that he was facing up to 15 years in prison for blackmailing a co-conspirator who he said had joined him in a £2.5million National Lottery fraud.

Giles Knibbs confessed that he had been conspiring with his builder Edward Putman to cheat Camelot out of an unclaimed jackpot.

Mr - Knibbs - Life - Blackmail - Court

Mr Knibbs took his own life after being arrested for blackmail and a court today heard how he had been 'shafted' by Mr Putman.

John Coleyshaw, who had been in a five year relationship with Mr Knibbs, said the 38-year-old told him Mr Putman had not paid him his agreed share of the fraudulent winnings.

Mr - Coleyshaw - St - Albans - Court

Mr Coleyshaw told St Albans crown court he was very worried about Mr Knibbs, who had been arrested after Mr Putman had made a complaint about him to the police.

He said he kept asking him what was wrong until he said: 'It looks like I am going down for 10 to 15 years for blackmail.'

Mr - Knibbs - Fraud - Detection - Camelot

He said Mr Knibbs, who worked in fraud detection at Camelot in Watford, told him he had come across details of unclaimed lottery tickets and that he and Mr Putman agreed on a scam and would split the money.

But he said after Mr Putman claimed the prize in 2009, he refused to give Mr Knibbs half of the winnings. 'That is what I was told by Mr Knibbs. He said he received some money, but not the agreed amount,' he said.

Conversation - September - Mr - Knibbs - Co-conspirator

He said during their conversation in September 2015, Mr Knibbs was 'extremely upset' after his co-conspirator had him arrested for blackmail.

Mr Coleyshaw said: 'For want of a better word, he had been 'shafted' by someone he considered to be a good friend. He was extremely distressed. I had never seen him so distressed in all the time I had known...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It is time to put away the our toys and propaganda we've been taught as children and think for ourselves.