Canada’s Liberals Defend Trudeau from Resignation Calls amid Blackface Scandal

Breitbart | 9/20/2019 | Staff
jster97 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.breitbart.com/media/2018/06/GettyImages-959845328.jpg

Members of Canada’s Liberal Party responded to the revelation Thursday that their leader, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, has worn blackface more times than he can remember by insisting that he is respectful of minorities in private and deserves forgiveness.

Time magazine published an image late Wednesday of Trudeau in “brownface” – dark face paint meant to mock Middle Eastern complexions – at an “Arabian nights” theme party in 2001. Trudeau apologized for the image and confessed he had also worn blackface to perform “The Banana Boat Song (Day-O)” in high school. By Thursday morning, a video of Trudeau on an unrelated occasion wearing blackface had surfaced; Trudeau later told reporters he could not offer a definitive number of times that he had donned racist face paint because he did not remember them all.

Press - Conference - David - Akin - Global

During that press conference, David Akin from Global News, the outlet that published the blackface video, urged Trudeau to resign.

“I know there’ll be a lot of people here today of all races who will be very happy to hear you denounce racism in all its form and your earlier behavior. But the Prime Minister’s job was not created so you could work through your issues,” Akin said. “Maybe it’s time that you realize you’re not the indispensable man. … Have you considered asking someone else to lead the party in this election?”

Trudeau - Offer

Trudeau refused the offer to resign.

“I spent the morning speaking with candidates with fellow liberals with allies with leaders within racialized communities across the country and I will continue to do the work that is necessary,” the prime minister replied. “To keep us moving forward in the right way, Canadians have an important choice to make.”

Question - Trudeau - Responsibility - Mistakes - People

Responding to another question, Trudeau said he felt that “you need to take responsibility for mistakes that hurt people who I thought was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Breitbart
Wake Up To Breaking News!