Emmys 2019: Critical Last Looks on ‘Game of Thrones,’ ‘Fleabag,’ More Contenders

Variety | 9/20/2019 | Daniel D'Addario
normanorma (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/emmy-contenders-2019.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

With only days to go before the 71st Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, the final voting have long since been cast and counted. But hopes still abound for favorite series and performers. Here, Variety’s television critics look at the leading races, who’s going into the final stretch with some real heat and what they hope will actually get rewarded come ceremony night.

Caroline Framke: The Emmys are so prone to repeat winners and playing favorites that it can often feel like the trophies get engraved the second the nominations are announced. This year feels a little different, though, in that there are many more newcomers and far fewer locks. Among this year’s major nominees, lead comedy actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus seems to be the surest thing for for the final season of “Veep.” There’s little denying the volcanic force of her performance, but if she weren’t in the race, I’d love to see someone like Natasha Lyonne (“Russian Doll”), Phoebe Waller-Bridge (“Fleabag”) or Catherine O’Hara (“Schitt’s Creek”) get their due.

Emmy - Predictions - Will - Take - Home

2019 Emmy Predictions: Who Will Take Home Gold Emmy Night?

What do you think, Dan? Is Louis-Dreyfus indeed the only lock, or am I willfully ignoring the probability of a “Game of Thrones” sweep in a weird year for drama?

Daniel - D'Addario - History - Louis-Dreyfus - Award

Daniel D’Addario: History suggests that Louis-Dreyfus takes it — but I’d give the award to Waller-Bridge. Her achievement as the auteur of “Fleabag” is unique (and, toggling between playing to her fellow characters and playing to us at home, it helps that she really gave the best performance in the field).

As for “Game of Thrones,” it’s another past juggernaut, and its likely win feels apt in a shakier drama series field than usual. But a true sweep is hard to fathom. Peter Dinklage aside, the show’s never had great Emmy luck with its actors, which is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Homeschool or State Thought Police School, you choose.