CNN's Ali: 'Conservatives Don't Seem to Like Black and Brown People'

NewsBusters | 9/19/2019 | Staff
rach-rach (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/cnn_newsroom_with_brooke_baldwin_-_02_51_52_pm.jpg

The revelation that Canadian Prime Minister wore brownface on multiple occasions as an adult has thrown a wrench in a northernly neighbor's election cycle as the world's most woke leader is now the subject of international scrutiny for his past behavior. Back home the media have pursued the usual "pouncing" angels, but CNN contributor Wajahat Ali took the opportunity on Thursday's CNN Newsroom to espouse some hot takes of his own, including that, "conservatives don't seem to like black and brown people."

Guest host Erica Hill began by opening the floor for Ali, declaring that every time a blackface scandal emerges, there lacks a deeper conversation about why blackface is wrong. The accurateness of that assertion notwithstanding, Ali began his response reasonably enough, explaining why one should not wear blackface, but then launched into a lengthy monologue about the state of minorities in the U.S. and Canada:

Okay - Liberals - Blackface - Brownface - Conservatives

We're stuck right now, right? Okay. All these liberals putting on blackface, brownface and then you got all these conservatives don't seem to like black and brown people and we're stuck in the middle? What's going on? And again, I was just talking to a makeup stylist at CNN, a person of color, she was like 'Never in my life did it occur to me to put on blackface or brownface,' and I’m like 'Me, too.' Never in my life did it occur to put on blackface or brownface.

Ali did not give any proof that conservatives don't like black and brown people. He went on to say that Trudeau could help himself by having "a person of color, perhaps a cabinet member, someone’s who a Sikh-American [sic] or black come up with him and really address the issue head-on" at the press conference with him. That minority cabinet member won't be Jody Wilson-Raybould,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!