Justin Trudeau apologizes for wearing blackface three times

Mail Online | 9/18/2019 | Jennifer Smith For Dailymail.com
melanie7 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/09/19/20/18687470-0-image-a-31_1568921462882.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/09/19/9188876487658222168/1024x576_MP4_9188876487658222168.mp4

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau apologized again for wearing blackface on Thursday after two additional photos of him donning dark make-up emerged following an original, damning image of him at an Arabian Nights party.

Trudeau first apologized on Wednesday night after a 2001 photograph of him emerged in brown face at an Arabian Nights party when he was a teacher. He also referred to a high school incident where he dressed up as Harry Belafonte to sing the Jamaican song Day-O.

Photograph - Day-O - Performance - Thursday - Morning

A photograph of the Day-O performance came out on Thursday morning but since then, a video of a third incident where he was wearing blackface emerged. It is unclear when it was taken.

Trudeau said on Thursday that he did not remember the third incident but he understood it was 'unacceptable' and that he has enjoyed 'layers of privilege' in his life.

Stage - Responsibility - Scandal - Statement - Applause

At one stage, he said he took 'full responsibility' for the scandal - a statement which won applause from the audience of fans who had followed him to the press conference in Winnipeg.

Scroll down for video

Forgiveness - Incidents - Times - Life - Blackface

He asked for forgiveness but would not confirm that those three incidents were the only times in his life he had worn blackface, staying silent when a reporter yelled out to ask if any additional photos would emerge.

'What I did hurt them, hurt people who shouldn't have to face intolerance and bigotry because of their identity.

Something - Trudeau

'This is something that I deeply, deeply regret,' Trudeau said.

'Darkening your face, regardless of the context or the circumstances, is always unacceptable because of the racist history of blackface.

'I - Understood

'I should have understood that then and I never should have done it,' he said.

Asked why he did not mention the third incident sooner, he said: 'I shared the moments that I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!