Nintendo Switch Lite review in progress: 5 reasons to buy, 4 reasons to skip

CNET | 9/19/2019 | Scott Stein
moni (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/DDUznJC1jeQrIsPt6KBnem0BZRE=/756x567/2019/08/26/70427c64-7ab1-4c2c-8278-9aeccacdfcf7/17-nintendo-switch-lite.jpg

The Switch Lite, in all three colors. It's handheld-only, but it feels great.

The Nintendo Switch Lite just arrived in our office and I've just taken it out of the box. It's a lighter, more colorful, and weirdly better-feeling version of the first Switch. Everything about it feels streamlined, easy. It's like a gaming Kindle.

Season - Gamers - Go - Nintendo - Iteration

It's a good season for gamers who want to play on the go. Nintendo's newest iteration of the Switch is the best $200 gaming portable I've ever used, and it already has a giant library.

Should you buy one, though? It all depends on whether you're fine just using the Switch as a handheld like the Nintendo 3DS and all the gaming handhelds Nintendo's made before this, or whether you want it to connect to a TV, too. Because, with the Switch Lite, you can't switch between TV and handheld anymore.

Switch - Lite - Box

The Switch Lite is so compact. So is the box.

Consider your other options: Nintendo has just updated the larger, more versatile Switch to include better battery life. We call that version the Switch V2 (yes, it can get confusing -- here's how to tell the difference between the Switches). Also, consider that Nintendo's method of transferring games and saves between systems is really not fun.

Nintendo - Game - System - TV - Switch

For those who want the latest and most affordable Nintendo game system and don't care that it doesn't connect to a TV, the Switch Lite is for you. But if you want flexibility and are thinking about playing two-player games a lot, I'd get the V2 version of the regular Switch instead. If you already own a Switch, and wanted a second one for your family or kids, this the obvious choice.

The lower price. $100 less matters when you're considering paying $200 instead of $300. (It's £200 versus £280 in the UK, or...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!