UK taxman wins tribunal case against BBC presenters

www.theregister.co.uk | 9/19/2019 | Staff
smnth28 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://regmedia.co.uk/2019/09/19/shutterstock_bbc_london.jpg

HMRC has won an IR35 tribunal against BBC journalists Joanna Gosling, David Eades and Tim Willcox.

That is despite an earlier High Court ruling finding the corporation had forced them into the wrong contracts. The presenters, through their personal service companies, could face a tax bill of tens of thousands of pounds. The trio are understood to have originally collectively faced a bill of £920k, some of which has been paid.

Judgement - Presenters - IR35 - Accountants - HMRC

According to the judgement, the presenters all told the tribunal "they had not heard of IR35 until it was mentioned to them by their accountants or when HMRC started their enquiries into their tax affairs".

The 178-page ruling, which came down to a split decision resolved on a casting vote, found the presenters were liable to pay more tax under IR35 legislation.

Number - Defeats - HMRC - Legislation - April

It follows a number of defeats against HMRC around the controversial legislation. In April the taxman lost an IR35 case against Loose Women TV and radio broadcaster Kaye Adams. TV presenter Lorraine Kelly also won a ruling against HMRC over a £1.2m tax bill.

Dave Chaplin, CEO of Contractor Calculator, said: "I was surprised all three were caught within the IR35 legislation."

IT - Contractors - Projects - IR35 - Anything

However, he added: "I don't think IT contractors working on projects outside IR35 have anything to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.theregister.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do I know who I am?