Trump Wouldn’t Prevent Iranian Leaders From Attending UN in New York ‘If They Want to Come’

CNS News | 9/19/2019 | Staff
liizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/rouhani-zarifung_0.jpg

(CNSNews.com) – President Trump said Wednesday he was not inclined to prevent the Iranians from attending the U.N. General Assembly session opening in New York next week, saying “I would certainly not want to keep people out if they want to come.”

Speaking to reporters in Los Angeles alongside newly-named National Security Advisor Robert O’Brien, Trump was asked whether he thought President Hassan Rouhani should go to New York.

“I really don’t know,” he said. “It’s not up to me, it’s up to him. We’ll see what happens.”

Asked if the U.S. would withhold visas from the Iranian delegation, Trump replied, “If it was up to me, I would let them come.”

United - Nations - Potential - Potential - People

“I’ve always felt the United Nations is very important,” he continued. “ I think it’s got tremendous potential. I don’t think it’s ever lived up to the potential it has, but I would certainly not want to keep people out if they want to come.”

In New York, U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was asked about an Iranian report saying Rouhani and Foreign Minister Javad Zarif had not been issued U.S. visas.

UN - Secretariat - Contact - Host - State

He said the U.N. Secretariat has been “in contact with the host state in order to solve all outstanding visa problems in relation to delegations, and I hope that this will allow [us] to solve the problem.”

In France last month Trump said he was prepared to meet Rouhani “if the circumstances were correct,” and his host, President Emmanuel Macron, said a meeting could potentially take place “in the next few weeks.”

Speculation - Meeting - UN - Sidelines - Week

That stoked speculation of a meeting on the U.N. sidelines, and last week Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said, “Sure” when asked whether he could “foresee” such an encounter taking place.

Four days later, however, tensions flared again after crucial Saudi oil installations were attacked, an unprecedented provocation which the Trump administration has blamed...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!