Precious Heritage vs. Just Get Over It

Catholic and Enjoying It! | 9/19/2019 | Staff
tiana_101 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/wp-content/themes/Patheos%20TwentySeventeen/assets/images/default-thumbs/default-img-woman-reading.jpg

When the subject is Confederate statuary, the Christianist goes all drippy and sobby over the loss of our precious, precious heritage. When people march under the banner of the swastika to defend that heritage, we are instructed that we need to make careful distinctions between the neo-Nazis and the “very fine people” who are merely there because they Care About History. Admittedly, they don’t care about the part of history that reminds us that the statues were put there in order to enforce Jim Crow and remind a subject population of their place, but still, it’s just so important to preserve our memories of the Confederacy because of… ummmm, state’s rights! Yeah, that it! That’s the ticket!

Okay, fine. I’m all for remembering history. But since history includes the fact that the right those states were fighting for was, above all, the right to own other humans like cattle and to beat them like dogs, it seems to me important to remember that as well.

Project - Matters - People - Confederate - Heritage

This is why the 1619 Project matters. Yet, the very people who are so passionate about preserving our precious, precious Confederate heritage are the ones who want to bury the memory of 400 years of oppression.

Look, you want to tell me about the Noble South and the brilliance of Lee and Jackson at Chancellorsville and how the slaves jus’ loved theyah massahs who treated them so right then let’s hear from...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic and Enjoying It!
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Vote for gridlock, it's our only hope!
Tagged: