Sit With The Fear: Why The New Sandy Hook Promise Video Should Leave You Haunted

Irreverin | 9/18/2019 | Staff
idkwatitis (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/333/2019/09/Screen-Shot-2019-09-18-at-8.10.04-PM.png

I love a good scare this time of year. Creeping up on October, I’ll re-read Bram Stoker’s Dracula, or a favorite Stephen King book. I’ll watch The Exorcist or The Omen. You know, for old time’s sake, and because I have a sense of occasion. Stranger Things? Here for it, and not just because of the epic fashion flashbacks. It’s just the right kind of terrifying.

I like some darkness. I like some edge. But admittedly, I like creepy thing that can be closed and put back on the shelf, or just plain old turned off when I am done with it and need to sleep at night.

Today - Sandy - Hook - Promise - Video

Today, I watched the new Sandy Hook Promise video. I may never sleep again.

This is not the kind of scare you can turn off. It shows school kids–about the same age as my kids, possibly the same age as your kids, and if not, then the age they once were, or will be soon– sporting back to school gear and saying “this will really come in handy!” But gradually, the scene goes from happy kids jogging through the hallway in new kicks to kids hiding behind closed doors and smashing windows with their skateboard. They’re waiting with scissors and pencils yielded.

Shooter - Hallway - Course

Because there’s a shooter in the hallway, of course.

There are so many brilliant things about this video. For one thing, it moves seamlessly from feeling like an Old Navy or Target commercial, full of every day life and kid fun, to a scene of utter horror. Which is, I can only imagine, exactly how real school shootings play out.

Music - Somehow - Shifts - Stuff - Something

Also, the music somehow shifts from happy dance-y stuff to something low and sinister, and you don’t even notice it happening.

Most striking to me? They managed to convey the terror of the situation without showing the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Irreverin
Wake Up To Breaking News!