Brad Pitt Says It’s a Mistake to Judge Films Based on Opening Weekend Box Office

IndieWire | 9/18/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/shutterstock_editorial_10417535a.jpg

Box office tracking for the upcoming weekend has come in (via Variety) and shows James Gray’s space epic “Ad Astra” opening between $18 million and $20 million during its box office debut, a solid number made somewhat troubling because the film cost over $80 million to produce. In today’s Hollywood landscape, opening weekend box office grosses go a long way in defining the film as a breakout success (see “Hustlers” last weekend) or a disastrous flop (see “The Goldfinch,” also last weekend). For Brad Pitt, judging movies based on box office debuts is a mistake. Speaking to GQ, the “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” and “Ad Astra” actor said he’s more interested in the longevity of his films than by their debut grosses.

Asked by GQ journalist Zach Baron how he will gauge the success of “Ad Astra,” Pitt responded, “Well, for the financiers, whether it be studio or independent, that will be monetary. And most of our films, which I feel is a mistake, get defined by the opening weekend. They’ll say it’s a hit or it’s a miss. But all of my favorite films, I found them well after the fact.”

Brad - Pitt - Gon - Abstain - From

Brad Pitt: 'I'm Gonna Abstain' From Oscar Campaigning for 'Hollywood' and 'Ad Astra'

Pitt also produced “Ad Astra” through his Plan B Entertainment...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Never argue with an idiot, the spectators may not be able to differentiate between you.