Mother-of-two lives with 90% of her body covered in psoriasis plaques

Mail Online | 9/17/2019 | Natalie Rahhal Deputy Health Editor For Dailymail.com
madalina09madalina09 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/09/17/23/18597726-0-image-a-2_1568757886146.jpg

Since she was a pre-teen, scaly plaques have periodically overtaken Sabrina Speaks's body.

Sabrina suffers from plaque psoriasis, a chronic skin condition likely caused by a dysfunction in the immune system.

Diagnosis - Sabrina - Confidence - Issues - Teenage

After her diagnosis at 12, Sabrina struggled with confidence issues in her teenage years - constantly trying to hide the scaly plaques on her skin.

Due to the sometimes unbearable pain, the now 23-year-old is unable to work and has to take great care when she wants to play with her children.

North - Carolina - Husband - Daniel - Daughters

Residing in North Carolina with her husband, Daniel, and her two daughters, Sabrina says that her family and motherhood have been the things to keep her afloat and out of the grasp of depression.

And thankfully, Sabrina has found more confidence in her own skin over the last few months and now hopes to educate people on something that is much more than 'just a skin condition.'

Sabrina - Barcroft - TV - 'Psoriasis - Life

Sabrina told Barcroft TV: 'Psoriasis has affected my entire life.

'It is an autoimmune disorder. I want to make more people aware of that.

System - Way

'Basically, it doesn't allow my immune system to work in a way that it should.'

Instead, her body over-produces skin cells, which pile up in plaques that can burn, itch and be extremely painful.

Sabrina - Case - Arthritis - Joints - Ache

Plus, Sabrina's particularly severe case comes with psoriatic arthritis, which makes her joints ache.

She's also often exhausted, in addition to enduring the pain, anxiety and depression that come with her condition.

'I - Pain - Reactions - People - Psoriasis

'I can't work because of the pain it causes and also the reactions that I get from people seeing [my psoriasis],' Sabrina says.

While psoriasis isn't a rare condition, few people develop as serious a case as Sabrina's.

'It - Things - Stress - Cold - Symptoms

'It can be brought on by many things. Stress or even a simple cold can start your symptoms straight away,' she explains.

'But a lot of people...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Does it ever seem that life has become one long rerun?