Knowing What to Do but Not Doing It Is a Problem

Rick Thomas | 9/17/2019 | Rick Thomas
Cayley1561 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://rickthomas.net/wp-content/uploads/2025/07/RMlogoKnowingWhattoDobutNotDoingItIsaProblem.jpg

Our podcasts are on iTunes, Google Play, SoundCloud, TuneIn, or Stitcher. If you want to comment on this content, go here.

You may want to read:

Thing - James

So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin (James 4:17).

In the divine wisdom of God, He has put part of the change responsibility on you to make the necessary changes you need to glorify Him. For transformation to take place in a person, he must be willing to change. Recently I met with a couple, and we began addressing some deep-seated problems that have been troubling their marriage for many years. After an hour of digging into their marriage with x-ray type questions, we got to some of the core issues.

Heads - Disappointments - Marriage - Years - Wife

Their heads were down as they wrestled with the disappointments that had characterized their marriage for years. Momentarily, the wife lifted her head and said, “This is nothing new. I have been saying this for years.”

What was interesting about her comment was that I did not tell them one thing in over sixty minutes of examination that they did not already know. But her statement did not surprise me. That comment is the norm in counseling. It is rare to tell a counselee something about their thinking or behavior that they do not already know. Discipleship is not rocket science. Though “we are fearfully and wonderfully made,” we are not over-complicated (Psalm 139:14).

Cat - Bag - Counseling - Office - Decision

Once the cat came out of the proverbial bag in my counseling office, it was decision time. Did they want to deal with what they already knew? Though I did not tell this couple anything new, the next step that they should have made confronted them. The success of their marriage depended on how they would respond. Were they going to take the personal,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Rick Thomas
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Would you let a person who could only get a government job run your life? Well don't!
Tagged: