'I thought it was basically amazing': readers' pick of the best movies since 2000

the Guardian | 9/17/2019 | Guardian readers
It is an extraordinary, visceral depiction of the growth to awareness of a young girl, on the cusp of adolescence caught up in a savage world where not even retreat into fantasy can provide a moral framework. There are, of course, many coming of age films but none, I think, as poetic and haunting as this. It was the first film my eldest son took me to see and at 18 he was just emerging out of the chaos of adolescence meanwhile his two younger brothers were still in the labyrinth... with some years to go. As a mother and a teacher no other film has come close to reminding me how hard it is to leave, or be forced to leave, the relative certainties of childhood and form your own moral code in an adult world beset by compromises.

I expected to see The Lives of Others and Pan’s Labyrinth in the top 10. Mainly because Ted is in at No. 60. Much as I love Seth McFarlane, his film doesn’t deserve to be anywhere near either of those masterpieces.

Country - Old - Men - Will - Be

No Country for Old Men was better than There Will Be Blood in 2007 and still is. It’s more exciting, but underneath that, it’s about how our society’s changing structure has gradually but steadily rewarded the behaviour of psychopaths, and punished the behaviour of the socially motivated. That’s not an over deep reading of the film. That’s what Tommy Lee Jones actually discusses in voiceover. This encroaching darkness he can’t understand, compared to his father’s experiences in the same job. It’s fantastic in every way, right up to its abrupt end with a random car accident. It’s clearly the best film of this century so far, it’s Kubrickianly good. Better than most of the Kubricks actually, it’s close to perfect.

Paddington 2...
(Excerpt) Read more at: the Guardian
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: