Brexit chaos isn't all my fault, says David Cameron

Mail Online | 9/16/2019 | Tim Stickings For Mailonline
morica (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/09/16/14/18535530-0-image-a-6_1568639212708.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/09/16/7531324287039651929/1024x576_MP4_7531324287039651929.mp4

David Cameron has denied he is wholly responsible for the political chaos which has engulfed Westminster since he called the EU referendum - instead pinning the blame on Theresa May and the MPs who refused to support her deal.

The former Prime Minister admitted he was 'haunted' by his defeat in the 2016 referendum but defended his decision to call it, insisting it was 'inevitable'.

Retirement - Westminster - Turmoil - ITV - Tom

In retirement he has been widely blamed for the ongoing Westminster turmoil, but speaking to ITV's Tom Bradby in an interview which aired tonight, he insisted that 'not everything that has followed had to follow'.

Mr Cameron suggested his successor Mrs May could have 'aimed for a more straightforward Brexit' and slammed Brexiteer MPs who rejected her deal.

People - Brexit - Theresa - May - Deal

'If people who most wanted Brexit had voted for Theresa May's deal we would have left on the basis of a deal,' Mr Cameron said.

'If after the referendum we had aimed for a more straightforward partnership Brexit, perhaps along the lines of a Norway or a Switzerland, we could have achieved, I think, a more harmonious and more rapid outcome.'

Decision - Poll - 'Well - Argument

Asked about his decision to call the poll, he said: 'Well I think I will still make the argument that to me, it was inevitable.

'Am I sorry about the state the country's got into? Yes. Do I feel I have some responsibility for that? Yes. It was my referendum; my campaign; my decision to try and renegotiate.

'I - Attempt - Failed

'I can't put it more bluntly than this; I accept that that attempt failed.'

Mr Cameron resigned after the Brexit vote but has resurfaced this week to promote his new memoirs, which will be released on Thursday.

Decision - Mr - Cameron - 'credibility - Losing

Asked about his decision to step down immediately, Mr Cameron said he had lost his 'credibility' after captaining the losing Remain side....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!