The Mod | How To Be A Pastor’s Wife

Monday, 16 Sep 2019

www.whitehorseinn.org | 9/16/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://www.whitehorseinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/How-To-Be-A-Pastors-Wife_1200x628.jpg

I remember the day my oldest daughter began piano lessons. My husband and I, to the chagrin of those who happen to sit next to us in church, don’t have a musical bone in our bodies. But from a very early age, this small slip of a girl seemed to burst with music. She was extremely eager for her first ‘real’ piano lesson and immediately fell in love with her teacher. Very shortly after her lesson, the realization hit that it would take time and effort to train her small hands to move the way she wanted, and suddenly her precious music required discipline. What had seemed easy and natural now seemed somewhat daunting and difficult. Years later, she is on the point of graduating from her grade 8 piano exams and her joy in playing has increased exponentially. Turns out that Mom and Dad knew something about hard work paying off after all.

I also remember the early, giddy days of seminary when my husband and I were eagerly anticipating graduation and ‘getting into the real work’ after years of preparing. I think we were somewhat infatuated with the notion of serving in pastoral ministry and filled with excitement over all that we believed it would entail. It wasn’t that we were anticipating glamour or acclaim in the work; we had read a steady diet of missionary stories from the time we first met and thus were gently deluded into believing that we were truly ready to give up everything for the sake of the gospel. Of course, it quickly became apparent that while God wasn’t asking us to give up every material possession and comfort, he was asking us to do the hard work of everyday faithfulness, which involved giving up much of what I had expected my life...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.whitehorseinn.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into"--Jonathan Swift