Iran fired cruise missiles in attack on Saudi oil facility: Senior US official

ABC News | 9/15/2019 | Staff
Mireille (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://s.abcnews.com/images/International/saudi-oil-attack-mo_hpMain_20190915-210739_16x9_992.jpg







Iran launched nearly a dozen cruise missiles and over 20 drones from its territory in the attack on a key Saudi oil facility Saturday, a senior Trump administration official told ABC News Sunday.

Interested in Iran?

Add - Iran - Interest - Date - Iran

Add Iran as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Iran news, video, and analysis from ABC News.

It is an extraordinary charge to make, that Iran used missiles and drones to attack its neighbor and rival Saudi Arabia, as the region teeters on the edge of high tensions.

President - Donald - Trump - US - Attack

President Donald Trump warned the U.S. was "locked and loaded" to respond to the attack on Sunday, waiting for verification of who was responsible and for word from Saudi Arabia on how to proceed.

The Trump administration, in particular Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, has blamed Iran for the attack since Saturday, but so far, there's been no public accusation that Iran launched missiles.

Houthi - Rebels - Yemen - Responsibility - Assault

The Houthi rebels in neighboring Yemen claimed responsibility for the assault, which hit one of the world's largest oil processing facilities, hundreds of miles from the Yemen-Saudi border, and sharply impacted global oil supplies.

But a senior U.S. official told ABC News Saturday that was false: "It was Iran. The Houthis are claiming credit for something they did not do."

Pompeo - Evidence - Attacks - Yemen

Pompeo tweeted that there was "no evidence the attacks came from Yemen."

The attack on the Saudi state-owned oil company Aramco also included more than 20 drones, the official said.

Iran - Responsibility - Attack - Pompeo - Deceit

Iran has denied responsibility for the attack, accusing Pompeo of "max deceit," as the country's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted Saturday.

In a Sunday evening tweet, Trump did not share the definitive accusation against Iran, instead saying the U.S. had "reason to believe that we know the culprit ... but are waiting to hear from the Kingdom [of Saudi Arabia] as to who they believe was the cause...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ABC News
Wake Up To Breaking News!
There's no problem on the inside of a kid that the outside of a dog can't cure.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!