Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/09/15/22/18512198-0-image-a-53_1568583205111.jpg
When Sheila Manley tripped on her patio and ended up impaled through her neckline on a metal fire grate, she thought she was going to die.
But the divorcee told yesterday how doctors saved her life – not once, but twice – following the freak accident, and praised the dozens of emergency workers who helped with her miraculous escape.
Mrs - Manley - Friends - Terrace - Home
Mrs Manley, 66, was entertaining friends at her terrace home last month when she tripped on a paving slab and fell forward on to an iron log basket they were using as a fire pit.
An iron spike from the basket pierced her chest just above her collarbone, running across her neckline and pushing up against the skin of her shoulder on the other side of her body.
Yesterday - Nurse - Crews - Hours - Rest
Yesterday, the retired psychiatric nurse told how fire crews worked for three hours to cut the rest of the metal basket away from her body while paramedics sedated her.
She was then taken to a regional trauma unit under a police escort, where the iron bar was eventually removed by medical professionals.
Days - Royal - Stoke - University - Hospital
A few days later, as she recovered at the Royal Stoke University Hospital, Mrs Manley collapsed with what proved to be blood clots on her lung.
The pensioner, who lives with her son, Russell Corvers in Monkmoor, Shrewsbury, said: 'They saved my life not once, but twice.
Bar - Body - Goner - Russell
'When the bar went into my body I thought I was a goner and so did Russell,' she said.
'I was begging him to lift me off it but of course he couldn't, and I'm rather glad that he didn't! I don't remember too much about what happened from there. I was given so much oxygen that I started...
Wake Up To Breaking News!