Two years ago, 123-Reg and NamesCo decided to register millions of .uk domains for customers without asking them. They just got the auto-renewal bills...

www.theregister.co.uk | 9/16/2019 | Staff
reantes (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://regmedia.co.uk/2019/09/13/shutterstock_unhappy_lady.jpg

Colin McDermott was surprised this week to receive an invoice from the UK’s largest domain name registrar, 123-Reg, auto-billing him £11.99 for a domain name he never ordered.

He wasn’t alone: Gavin Owen opened a live-chat with the company’s representatives after receiving a similar invoice for a domain name he didn’t want. While he was trying to sort it out, he received another invoice for a different name - that he also didn’t want and also had never ordered.

Simon - Hutton - Just - Renewals - Couk

Likewise Simon Hutton: “Just had 2 renewals that I nearly paid but noticed they were .uk and not my existing .co.uk. I never purchased .uk so 'renewal' is very misleading,” he complained on Twitter. “Now not sure if this is a scam…”

It wasn’t just 123-Reg either, another big registrar, NamesCo was doing the exact same thing: sending invoices to customers for names they had never requested. Heather Nixon was confused: “I received an email about a .UK renewal, do I have to renew it? If I choose not to, will it affect my .co.uk?,” she asked the company.

Madness - Colin - McDermott - Someone - Problem

“Madness,” Colin McDermott tweeted after finding someone else complaining about the same problem online. “Call the Trading Standards helpline... building up a case against 123-Reg for demanding payment on unsolicited goods.”

These are just some of the thousands of UK domain holders who will soon be charged tens of millions of pounds for domain names they never ordered and in many cases do not want. So is it a scam? And if not, what on earth is going on?

Answer - Scam - Sorts - Organization - UK

The short answer is that, yes, it is a scam of sorts. But one that is wholeheartedly approved by the organization that is supposed to oversee the UK’s internet space, Nominet. Nominet pushed for the creation of new .uk domains over two years ago, despite strong objections from the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.theregister.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!