Teary David Ortiz breaks his silence on Dominican Republic nightclub shooting

Mail Online | 9/14/2019 | Andrew Court For Dailymail.com
melanie7 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/09/15/03/18490614-0-image-a-20_1568513275450.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/06/13/2339016849742869746/1024x576_MP4_2339016849742869746.mp4

David Ortiz has spoken publicly for the first time since he was shot at nearly point-blank range outside a nightclub in the Dominican Republic on June 9.

The former Boston Red Sox star 43, gave a teary interview with Spanish-language network Univision on Friday, revealing that he almost died when a bullet ripped through his back.

'I - Coma - People - Star - Slugger

'I was in a coma. People were criticizing me as if I deserved to be killed,' the star slugger tearfully told reporter Tony Dandrades.

Recalling the moment he was shot, Ortiz stated: 'When the bullet hit me, the first thing I felt was like a sting. The first five seconds I thought I was having a nightmare.

'I - Something - Feeling

'I was feeling something that I had never felt before and that was just the feeling of trying to survive'.

Ortiz was rushed to hospital by a fellow patron at the nightclub, located in Santo Domingo.

Procedures - Week - Stay - Hospital

He underwent three surgical procedures during his seven week stay in hospital.

Doctors removed his gallbladder and operated on his damaged liver and intestines. He also battled an acute bacterial infection that was potentially deadly.

Saturday - Boston - Globe - Interview - Ortiz

On Saturday, The Boston Globe published an English-language interview with Ortiz, who said of his time in intensive care: 'It was very dangerous, I got to the point that I started losing hope.

'I felt that if I didn't die, then I would never be the same again. I went through **** with that.'

Report - Boston - Globe - Ortiz - Papi

According to a recent report in The Boston Globe, Ortiz - who is nicknamed 'Big Papi' - is said to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!