‘The Neck That Turns the Head’

Red Letter Christians | 9/14/2019 | Angela Denker
melanie7 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.redletterchristians.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Becki-and-Jerry-Falwell.jpg

Everybody’s talking about this recent Politico article outlining the underbelly of Liberty University President and Trump fanboy Jerry Falwell, Jr., and I figured as the author of a book on Trump-supporting Christians, I should examine this article as well.

It gets a little exhausting detailing the moral downfalls and power-hungry greed of so many prominent male evangelical leaders, and their allegiance to a man that has little to do with the gospel and much to do with money and power. I’m honestly worn out by the theme that plays out no matter what the story is (and usually they rely on a number of anonymous sources, like this one does). Liberals rejoice that another evangelical Trump-supporting leader is proven to be more immoral than advertised, and conservatives yawn: another story from a liberal news outlet written by a liberal author with no named sources.

Hidden - Story - Truth - Bears - Subplot

But hidden within this story is a new truth that I think bears examining. A subplot of the article about Falwell, Jr., is the open disdain the unnamed high-ranking Liberty officials have for Falwell’s wife, Becki.

A little like Serena Joy of Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale, Becki is portrayed as the mastermind and manipulator of power-hungry but dumb Falwell, Jr. It’s a literary trope often employed in American Christian conservative politics and churches — the ironic idea that behind a prominent male evangelical leader is a supposedly subservient wife who’s actually calling all the shots, even when those shots end up diminishing women’s rights and roles in general.

Politico - Article - Liberty - University - Official

Quoting from the Politico article, a Liberty university official says, “You know, there’s a head of every family, but what turns the head? The neck. She’s the neck that turns the head wherever she wants it.”

This seemingly isolated comment is actually steeped in conservative Christian theology and culture. Many conservative Christians believe...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Red Letter Christians
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: