Nick Leeson doppelganger says he can finally return to work in the UK

Mail Online | 9/10/2019 | Amelia Wynne For Mailonline
HelloimMe (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/09/10/20/18315690-0-image-a-59_1568142726740.jpg

A former trainee banker claims he can finally return to the UK nearly two decades after he was forced to flee the country because he looked like rogue trader Nick Leeson.

Steve Hall, 53, was repeatedly mistaken for Leeson in 1995 after the convicted fraudster brought down Barings Bank - with losses of £827million.

Then-banker - Steve - Croydon - London - Work

Then-banker Steve, from Croydon, London, said he struggled to get work in the city in the late 90s as he was told 'someone who looked like the rogue trader would be bad for business'.

He was berated in the street - with people blaming him for losing their jobs or pensions - and appeared in the press due to his uncanny resemblance.

Steve - Group - Stockbrokers - Pub - London

Steve was even attacked by a group of five stockbrokers in a pub in London.

He said he eventually realised he couldn't get a job in the money markets because of his likeness to the infamous banker, and fled to Jakarta in Indonesia for a fresh start.

Steve - London - School - Economics - Kids

Steve, who studied at the London School of Economics, got married, had three kids and worked in business. He is now currently having interviews for jobs back in the UK.

He said: 'It was pretty bad to be honest. I was upset by it all because, in a way, I became another victim of Leeson's crime.

Lot - People - Harmless - Leeson - Time

'To a lot of people, it might all seem harmless and innocuous enough. But you have to understand that Leeson was infamous - he was hated at the time.

'I would be stopped on the street by complete strangers, they'd grab me by the arm and say I'd caused a lot of heartache or lots of job losses.

'Others - Thing - Someone - Way - People

'Others would think the whole thing was just funny, and say that I'd reminded them of someone in that sarcastic way people do.

'I spent around four years applying for work as a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!