SILENCE AND SOLITUDE

Godspacelight | 9/10/2019 | Staff
morica (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://godspacelight.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2.jpeg

In pondering the things my soul longs for, two things came to mind: silence and solitude. It’s not that I don’t enjoy people, but as an introvert, after spending a lot of time with people, I need to recharge with some time alone. It’s in the times of quiet solitude that I can best hear God.

Recently, my husband and I have been visiting retirement communities with a view to where we would feel comfortable living once we’re less able to keep up a place on our own. The representatives of these communities are always anxious to tell us about the many activities their community offers. Apparently, many people fear inactivity and boredom. My question, on the other hand, is not “What can you offer to keep me busy?” but “What are the opportunities and places for quiet reflection?

Personality - Times - Solitude - Order - Strength

Granted, some of this reflects on my personality. I need times of solitude in order to gain strength to enjoy times with others. If my calendar is too full to find extended time on my own, I feel exhausted and find my time with God feels rushed and empty. I get hungry for solitude, almost a physical craving. As the Psalmist said,

“As a deer pants for flowing streams,

Pants - Soul - O - God

so pants my soul for you, O God.

My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.

Need - Space - God - Introverts - Something

The need for quiet space with God is not restricted to introverts, but something that everyone needs. Jesus set the prime example for this, as he often retreated to a solitary place to pray. Group prayer is important but is not a substitute for time alone with God. If Jesus, who was one with God, required this kind of sustenance, how much more do I?

Even the secular world is recognizing the need for silence and reflection....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Godspacelight
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: