Historic downtown San Jose church hit with Satanic graffiti

San José Spotlight | 9/3/2019 | Nadia Lopez
chicana948 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://sanjosespotlight.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/church-2.jpg

It’s sad to see repeated acts of hatred throughout our community. My mother serves as a Eucharistic Minister at St....

Posted by Raul Peralez on Sunday, September 1, 2019

A historic Catholic Church in the heart of downtown San Jose was vandalized Sunday morning, hours before congregants gathered to participate in Sunday mass.

Satanic and anti-semitic graffiti spray were sprawled against the church’s outside walls, alongside taunting drawings of a ghoulishly painted smile below two windows and a two-toned colored pentagram.

Church - Officials - Cathedral - Basilica - St

Church officials from the Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph confirmed on Tuesday that they are working with police, who are investigating the incident.

“The Diocese of San Jose is aware of the incident and is working with San Jose police to apprehend the culprits,” said spokesperson Liz Sullivan in a statement.

Cathedral - Basilica - Saint - Joseph - Flagship

The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Joseph — a religious flagship in Santa Clara County — has been home to the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Jose for more than a hundred years. The church is listed as a historic landmark in California and also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Hundreds of parishioners across the county flood the church’s halls every Sunday, including Councilmember Raul Peralez’s mother who serves as an Eucharistic Minister.

Peralez - District - Cathedral - Time - Church

Peralez, who represents the downtown district that includes the cathedral, said this is the first time he’s seen the church vandalized in more than 10 years since his mother started serving there. But he’s not surprised, he said, given the national political climate.

“I think this is certainly rare for the church itself and we’ve certainly seen it happening, unfortunately, throughout our entire country,” added Peralez. “Is it a Satanic group? Is it some youth that maybe weren’t even affiliated with the church or anything to do with Satanism, they just wanted to vandalize? I don’t know. But I think, without a doubt, everybody...
(Excerpt) Read more at: San José Spotlight
Wake Up To Breaking News!