The time a Commodore CDTV disc proved its worth as something other than a coaster

www.theregister.co.uk | 9/6/2019 | Staff
Tanya9 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://regmedia.co.uk/2017/10/15/headphones_too_loud_shutterstock.jpg

On Call Welcome to On Call, our weekly dip into the seemingly bottomless pool of user, er, difficulties, told by the unfortunates who are sat at the other end of the telephone.

Today's tale comes from a reader we shall call "Peter", who had the thankless task of answering the telephone calls from users of a certain ISP.

Peter - Years - Dawn - Time - Era

It was, Peter told us, "many years ago, at the dawn of time it feels like" and was in the era of every ISP having its own access software.

"These were the days of 28,800 baud modems, dial up and CD ROMs sent to customers to install the service," explained Peter.

Doubt - Use - Baud - Bits - Second

While we've no doubt that the use of "baud" rather than, say, "bits per second", may cause some discussion and the odd case of spontaneous combustion, Peter's story involves the software on the CD rather than US Robotics' finest.

On the day in question, Peter received a call from a customer who "told me he'd inserted the CD but all that was happening was a weird noise".

Reg - CD - Dirty

He told The Reg: "Having checked if the CD was cracked, dirty,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.theregister.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I love to post, but I never read the article!