Why ‘Doctor Sleep’ Director Mike Flanagan Set Out to Make a Sequel to ‘The Shining’ [Set Visit]

/Film | 9/5/2019 | Jacob Hall
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/DS-04723r1.jpg

Doctor Sleep matters because The Shining matters. Whether you love the original Stephen King novel or the Stanley Kubrick film adaptation (Or both! It’s possible!), the story of the cursed Overlook Hotel looms large in our collective imaginations. When Doctor Sleep was published in 2013, it immediately leapt onto Hollywood’s radar. After all, it was a sequel to The Shining, following a grown-up Dan Torrance as he tackles a new set of demons (and a few older ones). Now, six years later, the film adaptation from Gerald’s Game and The Haunting of Hill House director Mike Flanagan is months away from opening.

I visited the set of Doctor Sleep late last year and gathered with other journalists in the evil Room 237 itself to ask Flanagan and producer Trevor Macy about the film’s journey to the big screen. Here’s what we learned.

Macy - Flanagan - Doctor - Sleep - Matter

To hear Macy describe it, him and Flanagan landing Doctor Sleep was simply a matter of the stars aligning correctly:

In 2013, Stephen King decided to continue the story of Danny Torrance as an adult. The novel had been of interest to Mike [Flanagan] and to me ever since that happened. I remember talking about it at the time and we thought like, “Wow, a fun thing to do”. But how intimidating. And you know, cut to a few years later when we were fortunate enough to cross paths with Warner Brothers and they had the rights because of The Shining and, you know, so we get to tell this story of Danny Torrance all grown up.

Course - Macy - Flanagan - Warner - Bros

Of course, there’s a bit more to it than that. Macy elaborated, explaining that Flanagan met with Warner Bros., learned that Doctor Sleep was on the table, and immediately prepared a pitch:

We went to them. The actual story is Mike had a general meeting on...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!