Officers at scene of Beto O’Rourke’s 1998 DWI crash say they believe he tried to flee

KTSA | 4/24/2019 | Staff
Claw987Claw987 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.ktsa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/011_Beto_rally_El_Paso_IPA_TT-1.jpg

The former police officer who arrested Beto O’Rourke for driving drunk in 1998, along with the sergeant who signed the incident report, both say they believe now what they reported at the time: that O’Rourke tried to leave the scene of the wreck he caused.

O’Rourke admits he was intoxicated and says there is no justification for his actions, but he has denied that he tried to flee.

Beto - DWI - Something - Years - Town

“Beto’s DWI is something he has long publicly and openly addressed over the last 20 years at town halls, on the debate stage, during interviews and in Op-Eds, calling it a serious mistake for which there is no excuse,” said O’Rourke spokesman Chris Evans. “This has been widely and repeatedly reported on.”

Neither the investigating officer, Richard Carrera, nor his former supervisor, Gary Hargrove, specifically recalls the events of that night more than 20 years ago. But both of the former Anthony Police Department officers told The Texas Tribune they have no doubt the report they compiled and signed is accurate.

Stories - Carrera - O'Rourke - Police - Station

“I believe we have contradicting stories here,” said Carrera, who arrested the 26-year-old O’Rourke and took him to a police station to undergo a breath test. “I stand by my report.”

Carrera, 49, said after reading the police report, in which an unnamed witness claimed O’Rourke tried to flee in his Volvo, he has “no doubt that he tried to leave the scene.”

Beto - O'Rourke - DWI - Report

Narrative from Beto O’Rourke’s 1998 DWI arrest report.

Hargrove, 71, oversaw the crash scene but does not remember being there. However, he said he believes what his officers told him about the two-vehicle collision that occurred in Anthony, a tiny town near the Texas-New Mexico border west of El Paso.

Hargrove - Report - Houston - Chronicle - Year

Hargrove said the report, which he reread after the Houston Chronicle published it last year, shows O’Rourke “struck the [other] car from the rear and he...
(Excerpt) Read more at: KTSA
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I'm not always cranky, sometimes I'm actually running!